From the Official Site of The Brewers:
While the final details of Bill Hall's first big contract were being ironed out, the 27-year-old Brewer considered starting his own charitable foundation. But the more he mulled, it made just as much sense to contribute to one already close to his heart.
Hall donated $25,000 on Monday to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the Brewers announced a special Pink Bat Ticket Package for the new Club on the Club at Miller Park. Only 125 of the $222 packages are available, and a portion of the proceeds will go to the Komen Foundation.
Hall was one of many Major Leaguers who used pink bats on Mother's Day last season as part of Major League Baseball's efforts to raise awareness of breast cancer. But Hall gained nationwide -- and worldwide, he says -- attention when he hit a game-winning, 10th-inning home run with the bat to beat the Mets. His mom, Vergie, was in the stands that day at Miller Park.
"If it wasn't the biggest moment in my career, it was one of them," Hall said.
At the time, he didn't realize the impact it had on others.
"I knew it was a big home run with my mom in the stands, but little did I know that it would mean a lot more for a whole lot of people," Hall said. "The notes and letters I received from hitting that home run, I knew I raised a lot of people's spirits.
"If I could do that just hitting a home run, I knew there was a lot more I could do."
Several weeks after his dramatic homer, Brewers principal owner Mark Attanasio spent more than $25,000 to buy the pink bat at auction on MLB.com, and presented it as a gift to Vergie Hall. The money went to the Komen Foundation.
Read the rest of the article at milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com.
Monday, April 30, 2007
From the Official Site of The Brewers:
Before coming down with the bug Bob had, I worked on ridding our front yard and front entry of the winter mess. The spring/summer doormat I bought when we moved in seven years ago had seen better days so it had to be replaced.
I LOVE the replacement I found a couple months ago at Kohl's! The Welcome portion came along with the black mat which is heavy rubber. The other two inserts were purchased separately, and there are about 12 others. It will be nice to have one that is heavy enough that it won't blow across our
porch big step (haha).
Next on the replacing list are the dingy doorbell & the knob on the screen door. I just noticed how horrible they look in this picture. Now to stop coming up with more work for myself...LOL!
Friday, April 27, 2007
Thursday, April 26, 2007
1. Tony Shalhoub (Adrian Monk on the series Monk)
2. Charlotte Rae (Mrs. Garrett on Different Strokes & Facts of Life)
3. John Matuszak (Oakland Raider turned actor) He went to the same high school I did. Only a few years before me...lol!
4. Amy Pietz (Annie on Caroline in the City) I went to school with her.
5. Oprah Winfrey (needs no explanation...LOL) While she was not born in Wisconsin, Oprah spent a few years in Milwaukee as a child.
6. Dan Jansen (Olympic Speedskater)
7. Alan Kulwicki (NASCAR Winston Cup Champion) Alan was killed in a plane crash on April 1, 1993 in a plane crash near Bristol, TN.
8. Paul (and Morgan) Hamm (Olympic Gymnasts)
9. Mark Grudzelanik pronounced grud-zuh-LAH-nick (Kansas City Royal) I also went to school with Mark until his family moved to Texas during high school.
10. Les Paul (musician, inventor)
11. Violent Femmes (musicians -- Blister in the Sun)
12. BoDeans (musicians -- Closer to Free)
13. Tommy Thompson (former WI Governor & Health & Human Services Secretary, 2008 Presidential candidate) I met him at a mock press conference for high school newspaper staffs when I was about 17. It was just weeks after he was elected as our 42nd Governor.
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
This entry has nothing to do with my political beliefs. I do not post my political beliefs here. That is not because I don't have any or don't care. In fact, the opposite is true. I follow what is happening VERY regularly. I feel there are enough political blogs out there and no matter what side you are on the comments turn personal, nasty, and/or hateful. I, however, want to say I am glad to see Rosie won't be returning to The View after this season. I think she is a mean, bitter woman who has no place on network television. Bye bye Rosie! :)
Did you miss me? LOL!!
Bob has been home sick the last two days. That doesn't mean he had the day off. Just that he stayed home and worked from here. He has been hogging the computer! (Bad Bob...lol!) Since he is napping now, I thought I would say hello!
Keep this between us: Men are kind of big babies when they get sick, aren't they? LOL!!
Monday, April 23, 2007
Today, I had two triathlon triumphs. One in training & one in fundraising!
First the training triumph: I ran 3 miles in 40 minutes today. I did slow to a fast walk twice, but that was for less than half a mile.
The fundraising triumph: Even though the ChipIn! Widget to the right says $210, I am at my goal of $250 with a few donations that have been made through the other options!
Just because I am at my fundraising goal that doesn't mean I am going to stop! I would LOVE to raise even more for The Breast Cancer Research Foundation and National Association of TEAM Survivor.
Again, I would like to thank those who have already made a donation! I appreciate your generosity!
Friday, April 20, 2007
Thursday, April 19, 2007
This week is all about me...LOL! Well, not really, but my TT is. My first TT was Thirteen Things About Me, and it continues here with my 17th edition!
1. I used to be EXTREMELY shy.
2. I grew up in a house that was over 100 years old. It wasn't a working farm when we were there, but it was a GREAT place to grow up with the barn, sheds, chicken coop, milk house and over four acres of land.
3. I used to pretend I was Linda Fratianne or Dorothy Hamill when my brother and I would skate on the MANY areas of on our land that would flood then freeze. (We named most of them...lol!)
4. I was on the swim team in high school.
5. I was the news editor of our high school paper -- The Sword & Shield.
6. My first job was at a local frozen custard shop.
7. I was almost 21 when I finally go my driver's license.
8. I met my husband while we were both managers at McDonald's.
9. I attended Hamburger U!
10. I am married to an attorney. He usually represents the employer in employment issues such as discrimation, unemployment, workmen's comp and similar claims.
11. I hate revolving doors to the point I almost freeze when I have to use one.
12. I am a neat freak, but there is one closet in our house that is a DISASTER! It is the one in our computer room. My husband keeps work papers in there. I would be so embarrassed if anyone looked into it.
13. The clothing in my closet is arranged by type of garment & then color. The colors are sorted whites, reds, oranges, yellows, greens, blues, purples, blacks. Within each group the colors go from lightest to darkest. I know I am a freak...rofl!
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
I was looking back in my blog archives when I came across a good example of why I shouldn't put a to do list on my blog. The "permanent" evidence that I did not complete what I had planned to in January. LOL!! It was my second Thursday Thirteen.
Thirteen Things TO DO IN JANUARY 2007
1. Pick out tile, counter top, and vanity for upstairs bathroom.
Declutter, organize, and clean the basement.
Take donations to Salvation Army Donation Center.
4. Buy shelving system for basement.
5. List good items just taking up space on eBay.
6. Organize printed photos in albums.
Finish organizing digital photos.
BACK UP new newly organized photos!
Take more pictures.
10. Scrap at least one page per week (either digital or paper).
Buy dress for 2007 Reinhart Winter Gala.
Help Bob pick out his tuxedo for the Gala.
Attend 2007 Winter Gala on January 27 and have fun!
I guess it is a good thing that I have completed more than half of them. However, it is a reminder of #13 from my first TT, "I am a neat freak, who tends to procrastinate."
Penny the Procrastinator (lol!)
We have decided to wait until later this year for the bathroom. I would rather spend time outside when the weather is nice than in the bathroom working on redecorating.
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Do you find yourself adding more work to your day when you decide to do tackle a quick home spruce up project? That happens to me quite often and today was NO exception! The pictures will most likely speak for themselves! :)
I am very pleased with the results! I can't wait to see how it is once it is dark tonight.
Here's the light fixture we put up last spring. It was one of the pieces we brought back from Bob's great aunt's place in Florida.
Monday, April 16, 2007
Most of you know how much I love the shabby chic/cottage style. I have been looking for a different light fixture to replace the one at the top of our stairway. It's a builder basic. I have hated it for the last seven years. The style isn't that bad, but it is just not me. What I hate is the light it gives off -- I should really say lack of light. It only has one bulb and max wattage is 60. I was browsing a Target this afternoon when I discovered the Simply Shabby Chic Metal Rose Chandelier. This will be a perfect replacement. The price was GREAT at just $39.99!
I can't hang it yet because I don't have the right type of bulb or a ceiling plate. This light is plug in that I am going to convert to hardwire. I am going to pick those up tomorrow so I can hang it. I will post before and after pictures for you all to see. It will be nice to be able to see in our linen closet finally!
I think I am going to add some "crystal" beading to dress it up a little bit, but those can be added after I have it up!
Friday, April 13, 2007
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
I saw a couple bloggers using searches that brought visitors to their blogs as their Thursday Thirteen topic. Since I find these searches interesting (and funny at times) I thought I would share mine.
2. video "lindsey adams"
3. milwaukee sausages angels
4. i lost my salivary gland stones
5. fiestaware colors kitchen makeover
6. ashly delgrosso cardio video
7. "everyday minerals" suppliers
8. chipin.com blogspot
9. warholize a photo
10. tony penny blogspot
11. birthday wishes for brother quotes
12. grocery game penny
13. gass + shoes
Snow plowers -- UGH! We have about 6 inches of snow on the ground. It began this morning with rain, turned to small snowflakes at about 6:30 AM, then around 9:30 the flakes were GIANT. It was like it was snowing snowballs. The flakes returned to a more normal size and it continued until about 4 this afternoon. Guess what it turned to then. Yep -- RAIN! The rain will turn back to snow overnight and is supposed to leave another 2-3 inches.
Time to shovel what has pretty much turned into six inches of slush!
Today's Tri Training: 40 minutes on bike (inside of course) for 10.2 miles! A light work out on the strength training circuit. 20 minutes in the pool. I didn't keep track of the laps just swam until I needed to rest for a bit and then started again. Did this twice for about 10 minutes each.
Tuesday, April 10, 2007
The Cleveland Indians have moved their series against the Los Angeles Dodgers to Miller Park. All tickets are $10!
What I really want to know is will the sausages race? LOL!
ETA: I found the answer! The Klement's Racing Sausages will race! Woohoo!
I spent a little time working on my blog layout today. I have been wanting a three column template for sometime and was finally able to locate one. It just happened to be a modified version of the template I was already using. What are the odds? All it required was a little resize to my banner. I also added a footer -- it's just a band of "paper" from the same kit I used from my banner.
Monday, April 09, 2007
Friday morning around 8:30 AM, my mom picked up Olivia, and they headed for Natchez, MS. They will be spending the week down there and expect to be home sometime late Saturday night. I am going to get a lot done around the house this week, but it sure is quiet.
I started triathlon training today, and it felt good! It was supposed to be a 15 minute swim & 20 minute run along with some strength training. The pool was closed for classes while I was a the Y so I didn't get it in. Now that I have the pool schedule and know the open swim hours I can adjust my workout time. Today's scheduled swim will be done on Wednesday. I am looking forward to some warm weather so I don't have to be inside for the run & bike portions.
Friday, April 06, 2007
My triathlon fundraising is off to a great start!
Anyone interested in donating or reading more about the triathlon may do so at penny.chipin.com/2007-triathlon. Later today I will be adding a link to my sidebar.
I would like to thank those who have already made generous donations. THANK YOU!!
Next week I will be kicking into training mode! I am using some triathlon training information I got online until I attend the training seminar on April 18.
(SIDEBAR: Does anyone else have a hard time typing triathlon? I want to add an extra "a" after the "th". That one is understandable, but I have no clue why my finger automatically goes to type a "g" at the end. Oh yeah, I am participating in a "triathalong"! DOH!!)
Thursday, April 05, 2007
In honor of the last day of the Easter parties at McDonald's I have decided to list names of boys & girls along with the meaning of the name. All of these names are boys & girls who attended one of the parties over the past two weeks. I picked these names because I like them, and either they aren't used nearly enough or I had never met any one (in person) with the name.
The meanings of the names listed below are from babynamesworld.com.
2. Lola (sorrows)
3. Zoe (life)
4. Chloe (green shoot)
5. Phoebe (bright)
6. Violette (violet, that was obvious, hey? LOL!)
7. Oliver (elf army)
8. Aubriana (elfin king)
9. Adin (slender)
10. Jonah (dove)
11. Edwyn (rich friend) Would you believe my dad AND Bob's brother both have Edwin as a middle name?
12. Elijah (my God is the Lord)
13. Silas (of the forest)
Wednesday, April 04, 2007
April + 29 degrees + 45 mph winds = Spring
I don't think so! I could be worse -- we could be getting the 17 inches of snow that fell just a few hours north of here! I want warmer weather!
The real answer: April + 29 degrees + 45 mph winds = YUCK!
Tomorrow is the last day of the Easter parties for the year. I will be glad when they are over. I am so tired of Easter Bunny Says (Simon Says), the Easter Bunny Pokey (Hokey Pokey), and the Bunny Hop. If I see another Easter Bunny after tomorrow, I swear I will go cRaZy...lol! That is, of course, if I have any sanity left after the party with 39 kids between the ages of 3 and 5! UGH -- 39!
Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Not yet, but I am going to be. Today, my friend and I registered for the Danskin Women's Triathlon Series. We will participate in the Chicagoland triathlon on July 7-8, 2007! 100% of the funds I raise will be divided equally between the National Association of TEAM Survivor and The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
If you would like to donate, contact me using the link in my profile and I will send you the information to do so!
I am really looking forward to this! :)