Monday, April 30, 2007

Brewer Batting Against Breast Cancer

From the Official Site of The Brewers:

While the final details of Bill Hall's first big contract were being ironed out, the 27-year-old Brewer considered starting his own charitable foundation. But the more he mulled, it made just as much sense to contribute to one already close to his heart.

Hall donated $25,000 on Monday to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the Brewers announced a special Pink Bat Ticket Package for the new Club on the Club at Miller Park. Only 125 of the $222 packages are available, and a portion of the proceeds will go to the Komen Foundation.

Hall was one of many Major Leaguers who used pink bats on Mother's Day last season as part of Major League Baseball's efforts to raise awareness of breast cancer. But Hall gained nationwide -- and worldwide, he says -- attention when he hit a game-winning, 10th-inning home run with the bat to beat the Mets. His mom, Vergie, was in the stands that day at Miller Park.

"If it wasn't the biggest moment in my career, it was one of them," Hall said.

At the time, he didn't realize the impact it had on others.

"I knew it was a big home run with my mom in the stands, but little did I know that it would mean a lot more for a whole lot of people," Hall said. "The notes and letters I received from hitting that home run, I knew I raised a lot of people's spirits.

"If I could do that just hitting a home run, I knew there was a lot more I could do."

Several weeks after his dramatic homer, Brewers principal owner Mark Attanasio spent more than $25,000 to buy the pink bat at auction on MLB.com, and presented it as a gift to Vergie Hall. The money went to the Komen Foundation.

Read the rest of the article at milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing! The symbolism in hitting that home run with the pink bat is very strong!
He is a very generous man.


I love the pink slugger I bought last year!

Jenny McB said...

So how come we don't see more stories like this in the news? This is the first time I have read about this, what a great story. Thank you.

Debbi said...

Even though I'm a BIG St. Louis Cardinal fan, hats off to him. When we get right down to it we're all in it together aren't we. Have a blessed day.
Debbi from Missouri