Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Am I Hypo?

Both my mom and grandma have hypothyroidism, and I currently have more than one of the symptoms. They have crept up in the last few months. I have done a bit of reading on it in the last few weeks and have decided it is time to see my doctor. I will be having blood work done tomorrow and will see my doctor next Wednesday. It could very well be nothing, but I will not ignore my body when it is trying to tell me something.

I have gained 20 lbs in less than a year -- nearly 15 of that has been since mid-March. I eat right most of the time, I exercise, and there is no way it is 15 pound gain in muscle. I had to buy bigger clothes. My nails are brittle, my hands & feet swell, I have lost a small portion of my left eyebrow. (A few other symptoms I have may be considered TMI for my blog so I will spare you the details...LOL!) :)

These all could simply mean I am getting older and need to adjust my lifestyle again, but with thyroid disease in the family I think it is wise to rule that out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's wise of you to listen to your body and your family history.

I'm glad you are going to be checked....but I'm not surprised you are being diligent. I would expect no less of you. :)

Anonymous said...

Hope everything works out in your favor, Penny.