Friday, July 07, 2006

My Thoughts on the Sheryl Crow GMA Interview

Yesterday's segment was mostly about the break-up with Lance. That wasn't the part I was looking forward to seeing.

Today's segment was about her diagnosis and treatment. She had a lumpectomy followed by seven weeks of radiation. Her skin on her breast was burned, her breast became hard and painful. The toughest part for her, however, was the fatigue. She surrouded herself with friends.

I was a bit disappointed with the things she stressed in the interview. She did mention the importance of knowing family medical history. The only mention of yearly mammograms was when she said if you know you have breast cancer in your family to have a baseline mammo and follow-up yearly. I think she should have stressed yearly mammograms period. Many, many, many women are diagnosed daily with NO family history of breast cancer. Monthly self exams were never even mentioned.

I know she may have mentioned all those things, but it could have been cut out for whatever reason. If that is the case, I say shame on the editors of the piece.

Knowing how Sheryl Crow takes issues and makes them her battle, I was wondering what she would do with breast cancer. I have to say I was disappointed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know how I feel about this topic.
I second that...disappointed.

Penny said...

I know GMA was making this a Sheryl Crow story, but she blew a HUGE opportunity to be an advocate! One I feel people will listen to.

Anonymous said...

Yes, she should have stressed yearly mammograms. They are a must!!!! Shame on her. :(