Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Two Months and Counting

The triathlon is two months from today! Here's where I am at:

1. I am up able to run a little over 2 miles at this point. When I started training a month ago, I couldn't even run a mile. (The run is 3.1 miles.)

2. I am able to swim 600 yards without stopping. (The swim is half a mile which is 880 yards.)

3. I am able to bike 15 miles without being too run down. (The bike is 12.4 miles.)

4. I have lost 8.5 lbs! (Still have a little to lose to get into my capris from last summer.)

5. I have DRASTICALLY cut my Diet Pepsi consumption. Until about two weeks ago, I drank Diet Pepsi ALL day long. I probably had 8-10 cans a day. The most I have had on any day since I got sick is ONE. This past Friday & Saturday I didn't have a single one. I have replaced the sodas with water & iced green tea.

6. I have passed my fundraising goal of $250 and haven't sent out letters other than to online contacts. (I need to get these out this week!)

I think I am in good shape, but need to keep it up! This week is a heavy training week with workouts Monday - Friday. Next week is really light. Then it builds as the date gets closer with light workouts the week prior to the event.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome progress, Pen!

I would have NEVER guessed you were drinking that much soda! LOL
Once you get used to drinking water, you start to crave the taste of it.

I used to drink caffeine free diet pepsi (nothing wrong with the stuff) but gave it up because I had stomach problems and elimintaed carbonation. It's been over a year now. I'm not giving up my two hot cups of tea though!

Penny said...

I think I was addicted to the stuff. If I didn't have a soda by noon, I would have a headache. I stopped drinking it while I was sick and because I already felt HORRIBLE I don't think I noticed the "withdrawal" headache.

I am lovin' green tea now! Either hot or iced, but I like it with some sort of fruity flavor. Blueberry Green Tea is my favorite hot, and Green tea lemonade is my favorite cold.

I have always loved water, but it is just so much easier to grab a can of cold soda from the fridge. It became such a habit I didn't even think about it. There were many times I would end up with two or three cans open at once. Boy, was I bad...lol!

Jenny McB said...

WTG on the training. Umm, if I could get the running down, maybe...LOL

That's good that you are cutting back on the soda. I feel like I am addicted to water now and I do like the green tea mix for it.

Good luck with the training for the rest of the week.

Anonymous said...

Great job on the training and congrats on the soda. I went for a long time without drinking soda and some how I got back on diet mountain dew. I drink way too many in a weeks time. A habit I need to break also.

Believer said...

WOW! Okay you're an athlete from birth. Really!

I just started a weight loss challenge and I'm feeling positive about my progress for only two day into it.

I cannot imagine how much self-esteem you've built up as you've journeyed through this rigorous and committed task.

Just put up my TT#4!
Voice on Miscellaneous Matters

Martha said...

You go ON girl!!!

How long have you been in training? How much time each day do you spend on your training? You should blog more about this - you are such an inspiration!

I am so impressed!

Martha :)

Penny said...

Martha...I have been training for the triathlon for about a month. I found a beginner triathlon training program online. I am pretty much following that with the exception of making it fit my schedule. I train 3-4 times a week. The longer days are the ones I also do a weight program. Those days are about an hour & a half. Just cardio days average about 35-40 minutes.

I don't blog about it more because I don't want people to get sick of hearing me talk about my run, bike, or swim!

Thank you for your kind words!

hak said...

Just stumbled across your blog. Good work!

Endurance multisports will truly change your life for the better and introduce you to some dragons (self doubts) that you'll either crush, make friends with, or let run your life for a bit longer...until the next race.

I'm looking forward to reading about your triumphant journey across the finish line.

hak / john