Thursday, February 15, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #8

Thirteen things I feel make my house my HOME!

This topic is probably a little silly. We are coming up on the 7 year anniversary of moving into our home. I guess I am feeling a little nostalgic...LOL!

1. The brass door knocker with our name and established 2000 engraved on it.

2. The Italian Tole mini-chandelier my husband's great aunt & great uncle brought back from Italy in the 50s hanging in the entry.

3. The grandfather clock in the living room. Love that chiming! (note to self: call clock shop to have clock worked on. The chiming is sounding a bit off.)

4. The two chairs and over-sized ottoman "coffee" table in the living room.

5. The way the sunlight the floods the family room and kitchen on a sunny day.

6. The fireplace in the family room.

7. The quilts, blankets, and pillows we use to cuddle up while watching TV (and to hide the mess the dogs have made of the furniture in there...lol.)

8. The very used braided rug under the kitchen table. It is beaten up nothing some strong thread and a needle won't fix. The colors are perfect for the room, and it is so soft.

9. The collections of items arranged above the kitchen cabinets and some counter tops. Some are pieces that belonged to family members who are no longer with us.

10. The colors of the walls in the rooms we have repainted since we moved in are so soothing.

11. The pictures of family.

12. The Yankee candles! I have them burning all the time and change scents to match the seasons. Right now I am using Good Morning!

13. The GE Reveal light bulbs combined with the dimmer switches the previous owner installed in almost every room. I love the color light the GE Reveal casts -- none of that "yellowish" hue you get with regular soft whites.

I could go on and on, but this is Thursday Thirteen not Thursday Three-Hundred! There are a few things I want to change, but I love my home!



The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

11 comments:

Bubba said...

Wow...sounds like a wonderful home you have. As a bachelor, the only resemblance my home has to yours...is the Yankee Candles. I'm a real sucker for them...they're great!

Happy TT!

Penny said...

LOL & Thank you, Bubba!

Cat said...

I love burning candles too!!! Your home sounds so cozy. It's nice too, to have so many special family pieces around you. Our home is filled with pieces of furniture that my husband's grandfather built. He passed away in December 2005. It's special to have those pieces here in the house with us. I don't think it would feel like "home" if we didn't have them in our house!

Happy TT!!!

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait to own a home or build my own. While renting, things just don't shout "home" to me. But thankfully I have my cozy furniture, bright sunlight, the view of the trees outside, and my treasured belongings to surround me and help me pretend that this is permanent.

nice TT!

An Ordinary Mom said...

What a great TT list ... not silly at all. I can't wait to get into a house when the DH is done with graduate school!

TopChamp said...

That's a great idea for a TT - I was struggling this week. It sounds very cosy...

I'll definitely be gatecrashing next time I'm in the US losing stuff left right & centre!

Anonymous said...

Not silly at all. Sometimes it is the littles things that make a house a home.

Anonymous said...

Love this list.
I couldn't agree more about how great it is to have a house really feel like home. Personalizing your home is really what makes it "your" special place. We will soon start our fifth year here and I love it today as much as I did the day construction was complete and we moved in, and perhaps even more.

alisonwonderland said...

great list! i especially think #5 and #6 sound wonderful!

happy TT! thanks for stopping by!

Jenny McB said...

Not a silly list, but one that makes a house your home. If you had an interior designer come in, you would have the same list when they asked you what you liked about your house.
Found your blog while checking out the TT for this week.

Betty's Loosing Race said...

Hi found your blog from Ordinary Mom.

I enjoyed your list. I don't do many TT because I can never think of anything to say, but I may take this idea sometime if you don't mind that is. Our 3 year anniversary to our 1st home is coming up next month.

~Betty~