Thursday, January 25, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #5



Thirteen Fads I wore in the 70s & 80s

1. GASS shoes

2. Banana Clips

3. Diaper Shorts -- Made of a long strip of material with ties on each end. To wear: tie the front "panel" around your waist with the tie in the back. This will leave the back "panel" hanging down in front of you. Bring the fabric up between your legs just like a diaper to cover your behind...lol. Wrap ties from both panels around to the front of your waist and tie in a nice little bow. These were usually made of safari print fabrics. I think they took about 15 minutes to make so I had about 10 pair...lol!

4. Jelly Shoes -- I even had a pair of them in HIGH heels! UGH! To wear with my diaper shorts of course!

5. Leg warmers

6. Ear cuffs -- A metal cuff that slid on and fit closely around the cartilage of the ear. Usually they had a charm of some sort on them.

7. Moon boots

8. Roach Clip Hair Clips -- A roach clip decorated with leather strips, beads and colorful feathers. We wore them in our hair, clipped to a belt loop or a purse. I was so naive; I didn't know what these were "really" used for until about 10 years ago...lol!!

9. Satin running or boxing shorts with matching tube tops. YIKES!

10. Terry cloth anything -- In sixth grade, I had a dress with a red & white striped knit bodice and white terry cloth skirt. It was supposed to look like a two piece outfit. Man, that thing was hideous!

11. Big hair and LOTS of AquaNet.

12. Express off the shoulder sweatshirt and matching spandex pants. The color of Express and the pants were bright pink, turquoise, orange or green. Mine was the turquoise!

13. Swatch watches (nope not just one...lol) with the swatch bands.

I could go on and on! Remember wearing about four or five shirts? A turtleneck, a polo or two, with an oxford or two over those and the collars up on all of them! LOL!! Talk about layering!

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great list... I wish I could have seen some of those fashions. :)

Nature Girl said...

Boy oh boy did THAT bring back memories...I was a child of the 70/80's too...the only thing I didn't remember was the diaper shorts.
Great TT, I played too.
Stacie

Ms. George said...

Numbers 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, and 13 sound strangely and sadly familiar.
Do you remember jazz shoes and skinny leather ties? I wore the former and dated guys who wore both...

Susie said...

Mommakitty said son't forget t-shirts with asian letters, and layered/torn t-shirts!

Anonymous said...

hysterical -- that brought back many memories! what about scrunchees and scrucnh socks (wearing 2-5 pairs at once!)

Anonymous said...

I sooooo remember when jelly shoes came out in HEELS. LOL

Penny said...

Ooooh, how could I forget about the socks! We would wear 4-5 pairs with Reebok high tops...rofl. Now that was some fashion.

Just thinking about Jellies makes me laugh.