Friday, December 29, 2006

Heirloom Christmas Gifts

A gift I received for Christmas this year is probably by far the best gift I have ever received. Last Christmas we decided the adults would not exchange gifts. (Actually, my brother and I only exchanged one year. We decided to just put that extra money toward a gift for our parents. We were both young and still living at home rent free so why not give our great mom & step-dad a little something extra for putting up with us...lol!) Anyway back to my story, that rule only lasted one year. My mom is giving gifts again. I guess old habits die hard...lol!!

My brother and I are each handed a gift bag. In his was my grandpa's (dad's dad) old Miller Brewery Zippo lighter. He was a pipe smoker, but even when he wasn't lighting a pipe he would be sitting in his chair with that lighter in his hand. Along with the lighter were two of grandpa's badges from his days as head of security for Miller Brewery.

You won't believe what was in mine! It was her wedding ring!! My parents divorced when my brother & I were VERY young. I was 7 when the divorce was final, but they seperated when I was 5 & my brother 3. I have always loved that ring. It isn't a big beautiful stone, but I love it because it was mom's. Even though I haven't seen it on her hand for about 30 years I can still picture it. Strange the things that are etched in our memories.

My mom decided each Christmas she is going to pass along to us things she would want us to have after she is gone. Some of them may be things we wouldn't know the story of if she didn't pass them along. The things from this year were very obvious! :)

Thank you, Mom! I love the ring and know Scott loves Grandpa Brewer's things.

First picture is Grandpa Brewer sitting in his chair. He is holding something, but I don't think it is the Zippo here...lol!!

Second picture is my mom and dad on their wedding day May 6, 1967.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS!

I think family heirlooms and memories are the very best! I love having "memories" throughout my home. Mom-maw is in a lot of places.

Wonderful Christmas!

Penny said...

I love having those memories throughout our home as well. I have a few things that belonged to my Grandma & Grandpa Brewer. We have many things that belonged to Bob's great aunt and a few more that were his Grandma's.

My favorites are probably the dishes that were his grandma's and her mom's before that. I have begun using a few of the serving pieces. The everyday plates are VERY used and about the size of a saucer...lol. I know today's plates are much larger than in the past, but these are amazingly small for dinner plates.

Anonymous said...

As America's dinner plates grew in size, so did their food portion size!! LOL

Penny said...

That's for sure! Many restaurants around here now use Fiestaware PLATTERS as dinner plates. YIKES!!