Friday, September 15, 2006

Beautiful Days

Today (and yesterday as a matter of fact) were the most gorgeous days! I will take a little lot of rain anyday if it means I can enjoy two days like we just had. The sky was the most glorious blue with a few lovely puffy clouds. The temps were in the low 70s and a I see a few trees beginning to change color.

While weather wise the day was beautiful, it was a little stressful. As some of you know, just about everyone over 45 on my dad's side of the family has or died from some sort of heart ailment. We got a call last night that my dad was going to be having a heart catheratization. I believe this was his fourth since 1997. Apparently, he has been having pain in his back (near the shoulder blade) and down his arm off and on since March, and didn't tell anyone. Thankfully, my stepmom noticed how much pain he was in and made him go to the doctor.

The procedure went fine, but he did have to have a pretty severe blockage clean out and a stint placed there. Another area the balloon was used. He was home about two hours after the procedure. He is doing well other than being tired.

I worry about this man constantly. After the first cath he stopped smoking for awhile, but now smokes as much as before if not more. He hasn't changed his eating habits. He does have one thing going for him and that's excercise. He delivers fuel oil for a living and that is no easy job! Just wish he would listen to the doctors, my stepmom, my brothers and I when we tell him he needs to make changes. Both his parents and one brother died of heart disease. His other brother had 6 bypasses when he was 52. My dad is just one stubborn man!

That is one of the things that motivates me to maintain a healthy weight and excercise almost daily.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only is it worrisome that someone's health is at risk, it is frustrating as well.
Knowing that lifestlye changes can affect your health and then seeing someone you care about NOT make the changes is difficult to accept.

Anonymous said...

My dad had open heart surgery in April of this year. He is a severe diabetic and you would think that he has never heard the word. He is almost back to eating whatever he wants. He is 72 and very stubborn. I don't think there is a solution to these stubborn fathers.